How do visiting foreign pilots access Duats or Duat?

  • How do visiting foreign pilots access Duats or Duat? alex25

    I'm visiting the US and will get my foreign licence verified, but this means that I won't have a US license or medical. I understand that it is a requirement to sign up for Duats and Duat?!

    Any idea or suggestion on how else to use it?

  • I've just arrived back home after being in the US for some months. I was required to have a FAA class 3 medical, because I did some flight training there, and luckily the one I've received is also is a student pilot certificate with the number on it you require to register for DUAT. Some of my colleges didn't have this number and so they were not able to register until getting there FAA pilot certificate. This will be send to your home adress, most probably when you are home again. In the US you'll only get a temporary certificate (peace of paper). The only number you'll find on it is your current license number.

    Now what you can try: One of my colleges simply wrote an e-mail to duats helpdesk where he described his situation, giving all the information they require on their registration page with his foreign license number and attached a photography of his license and a proof that he'll be in the us for the next months. Less than 24 hours later he had a log-in. We had a student Visa, but if you don't have something like this, just try it without it, or take a photography of something else looking trustworthy.

    Good luck and enjoy your trip!

    Edit: I was just looking for the e-mail address, but for any reason my browser refuses to load duats website. As far as I remember, you'll find it at the registration page. If someonewho can access the website likes to add the e-mail adress please feel free to do so, I would appreciate your help.

  • Falk is correct; you can contact the service providers directly, explain your situation and they should be able to provision an account without a US pilot's license or medical certificate.

    DTC DUAT ( can be reached anytime at: 800-243-3828
    CSC DUATS ( can be reached anytime at: 800-345-3828

    As an alternative, may I recommend trying Lockheed Martin Flight Services' Pilot Portal at They are the flight services contract provider for the FAA. You can create an account by simply providing a valid email address.

    It provides all of the same functionality as DUAT/DUATS, but Lockheed's briefing products are the exact same ones their telephone briefers use. Their website has a tool called "NextGen Briefing" that translates all of your briefing data into plain text, which makes reading your brief super fast and easy. Of course, you can also read the coded text, if you're into that kind of thing (or you're training).

    On the website, you can also create a pilot profile that is linked to your mobile number so when you call 800-WX-BRIEF to file a flight plan, their computers will prefill your aircraft data for you.

    You can also file, ACTIVATE and CLOSE flight plans through the website. Also, unlike DUAT(S), flight plans are immediately available to ATC/Flight Service when filed.

Related questions and answers
  • In the US, there's a TFR everywhere a designated VIP (US president or vice president) is going to be. When (most?) foreign VIPs visit the US, I don't think there are TFRs in place for them (unless the location coincides with our VIPs). Are there TFRs (or international equivilents) in other countries when the US VIPs are there?

  • Because of US foreign policy, flights between the US and Cuba are prohibited except for certain conditions. If I am flying there for an approved reason (such as to visit immediate family), how do I obtain the proper permission to do so?

  • Does time logged in these foreign-registered aircraft (cross country, etc) count towards US certificates or ratings? Or is it flight experience that should be excluded from an 8710?

  • I'm visiting the US and will get my foreign licence verified, but this means that I won't have a US license or medical. I understand that it is a requirement to sign up for Duats and Duat?! Any idea or suggestion on how else to use it?

  • After answering this question on History.SE, I started to wonder if it would be possible to find out even more detail about the plane now that its serial number is known. I have no idea what kind of flight records the US Army Air Corps kept, however. I know most flight logs today are kept by pilot, but I imagine there would be some way to trace what pilots flew a particular plane. I have no idea if this is possible for USAAC trainer planes in the 1930s. Could I get access to these records? If so, how would I go about it? I'm mostly interested in seeing if I can find out more information

  • Is it legal for a pilot with an FAA license to fly a foreign registered aircraft within the United States? Is it covered by FAA regulations, or the country of aircraft registration?

  • Air Force One is obviously a big deal. We close terminals and implement other seemingly crazy safeguards against terrorist attacks while the president is en-route to an airport. How does ATC protect the president whilst in the air? I have heard of TFRs for "VIP in the area" reasons — is that for AF1? I am guessing that the aircraft identification is blocked, but wouldn't they still need... and basically above you that is descending into you, we are not in contact with them – they have shut their responder off.' And at that time it kind of led us to believe maybe someone was coming into us

  • Are there any sites similar to SkyVector (US-based) for GA aviation maps in Australia? I understand that Air Services Australia has miscellaneous single-purposes maps available, but they seem to be mostly airport diagrams and approach procedures. I'm looking for GA VFR maps. If the only thing available is SkyVector's world maps (of Australia), how accurate are they?

  • To most non-U.S. pilots who have little or no experience flying in the U.S., the concept of a FBO is not very well understood. What exactly is a FBO and what are the services that it can provide? I've heard that they can refuel your plane, move it to a hangar, clean it, provide preflight planning facilities, etc. Is there a charge for these services (I guess so) and if so, what can be expected? I've also seen many airports with multiple FBOs. How does that work? All I know is that FBO stands for "Fixed Base Operator". This may seem like a very stupid question but in Europe

  • I know that it's possible for military aircraft to "intercept" a civilian or foreign aircraft (and I'm well aware of the US interception procedures), but why would they be doing it in the first place? What does it actually prevent from occurring? They can't remotely control the aircraft, so is there anything that they can do once they intercept it?

Data information