Is an FAA licence an ICAO licence?

  • Is an FAA licence an ICAO licence? Lnafziger

    What is an ICAO pilot license? I've seen it as a job requirement before, does my FAA ATP count?

  • My understanding is that most FAA licenses would also qualify as "ICAO Licenses" (certainly the ATP seems to as we have a bunch of US/FAA certificated ATPs acting as international captains for US airlines flying to/from ICAO member states). From a quick read I think anything from Private up meets the ICAO Annex 1 (personnel licensing) requirements. (It appears that ICAO charges for Annex 1, but the fine folks in the Republic of Serbia have made the 2011 edition available on their Civil Aviation Directorate's website for us to all read and enjoy).

    In addition to the Annex 1 requirements, ICAO's FAQ has the following to say about licensing:

    ICAO licence or international licence

    ICAO does not issue any licences. Licences issued by ICAO Contracting States on the basis of Standards and Recommended Practices of Annex 1 – Personnel Licensing, are habitually called ICAO licences. This has led many to believe that there is a specific ICAO or international licence. The fact is that there is not one single international licence issued by ICAO or any other organization. States issue their own licences based on national regulations in conformity with Annex 1 specifications and validate licences issued by other Contracting States on the basis of bilateral or multilateral agreements or the fulfilment of nationally legislated requirements.


    International recognition of flight crew licences

    The Convention on International Civil Aviation, often called the Chicago Convention, provides for worldwide recognition of flight crew licences issued by any member State of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) provided that:

    1. the licence meets or exceeds the ICAO licensing Standards of Annex 1 – Personnel Licensing to the Convention on International Civil Aviation; and
    2. the licence is used on an aircraft which is registered in the State which has issued or validated the licence.

    If the licence is to be used on an aircraft which is not registered in the issuing State, the licence holder must obtain a validation of the licence from the State of Registry or alternatively obtain a new licence issued by the State of Registry.

    So basically your US/FAA license is a valid "ICAO License" as long as you're flying a US-registered aircraft & the nation you're flying to/through accepts US/FAA licenses (possibly with some additional requirements on a per-country basis).

    If you got a job for a Serbian airline and needed to fly an aircraft registered in Serbia you would need the Serbian Civil Aviation Directorate to issue you a license (or validate your FAA license) because they are the state of registry.

    From what I've read you can get a private license issued pretty easily in most ICAO member states - the procedures are roughly analogous to US FAR 61.75 - but if you want anything more than that there are other hoops to jump through to "convert" your license, which can range from just a written exam to a full-fledged checkride or more -- this is probably what people are referring to when they say it's difficult to get an "ICAO License" issued.

Related questions and answers
  • I am searching some airports databases and I find some airports with the same IATA code with different ICAO codes. Is it mistake in the database? Is it OK? For example: Beaufort MCAS - Merritt Field (ICAO KNBC IATA BFT) Beaufort County Airport (ICAO KARW IATA BFT) Edit: Another example; Paamiut Airport (ICAO BGPT IATA JFR ) Paamiut Heliport (ICAO BGFH IATA JFR ) Another example with 40 km between them: Desierto de Atacama (IATA: CPO – ICAO: SCAT) Chamonate (IATA: CPO – ICAO: SCHA)

  • . ICAO Rule: However, I have been told that ICAO rules state that the medical expires 12 months to the day from when it was issued, which would mean that it would no longer be valid as of January 1st, 2015. (A reference for this would be great.) Question: As the holder of an FAA pilot license, with the above FAA issued medical, may I legally fly outside of the US after January 1st 2015...FAA Rule: The duration of FAA medical certificates is specified in 14 CFR 61.23. An example would be for: A first-class medical certificate Applicant is under age 40 Applicant is an airline

  • I've read that ICAO defines Class F airspace but the FAA has chosen not to use the airspace class in the US. What is the ICAO definition of Class F airspace and how does it differ from other airspace classes? What countries use Class F airspace? Why does the FAA only use A-E and G?

  • In a flight database that I'm working with on a project, there is a column of data called "flightCategory" with values "C", "G", "T", etc. Any idea what those actually mean? From what I understand, the database is from FAA. But I'm not 100% sure.

  • What is an ICAO pilot license? I've seen it as a job requirement before, does my FAA ATP count?

  • Generally speaking, What programming language is used in aviation for (ATC Radio, Radar, ILS, Auto-pilot and on-board avionics)? Is there a standard enforced by ICAO? Does every plane manufacturer use the programming language they like as long as it's reliable and it goes through testing? I remember watching a documentary on YouTube last year about aviation and it said something about the EU, after WWII, started making standards for aviation systems inside Europe. I will link the video if I can find it

  • ICAO issues recommendations/rules/statutes/something? that standardizes the regulations for international air travel world-wide. What are these "rules" officially called and where can they be found? Are they available on the internet?

  • The use of the phrase "going around" is specified by ICAO Doc 4444 as the phrase to use when we're aborting the landing and heading for another lap in the traffic pattern if we're on a visual or VFR approach, or the appropriate missed approach procedure if we're on an instrument approach However, in the US, I often hear the pilot saying "going missed" when breaking off an instrument approach..., traffic pattern if visual, missed approach if on instruments), but doesn't say anything about the appropriate pilot phraseology. I couldn't find any reference in the AIM (chapter 4 section 2) either

  • Is it legal for a pilot with an FAA license to fly a foreign registered aircraft within the United States? Is it covered by FAA regulations, or the country of aircraft registration?

  • We've been having some discussions around if there was a specific ruling from the FAA that explicitly said that if a cylinder was showing less than 60 on the compression test, the FAA deemed it unairworthy. I've heard that, it's a rule-of-thumb and not a ruling, but I don't know for sure. Has this been conclusively made into a ruling from the FAA, or does it exist as a rule-of-thumb and there are other factors to consider? This would be specific to United States/FAA and 4-6 cylinder Lycoming or Continental piston engines.

Data information