How do I obtain permission to fly an airplane that isn't airworthy?

  • How do I obtain permission to fly an airplane that isn't airworthy? Lnafziger

    How do I get permission to fly an airplane with a non-safety-related airworthiness issue, like being out of annual or having an inoperative radio in order to take it somewhere that it can be fixed?

  • The FAA / Philidelphia FSDO already gave a perfect short and snappy official answer perfectly matching your question. Please note the restrictions mentioned in this handy sheet to stay absolutely legal :)

    The short summary: contact your local FSDO to request a Special Flight Permit ("ferry permit"), which are commonly used for:

    1. Flying the aircraft to a base where repairs, alterations, or maintenance are to be performed
    2. Flying an aircraft whose annual inspection has expired to a base where an annual inspection can be accomplished.
    3. Production flight testing of new production aircraft.
    4. To authorize the operation of an aircraft at a weight in excess of its maximum certificated takeoff weight.

    and many other reasons detailed in the link above.

    To obtain a special flight permit you will need to provide the following info to the FAA:

    1. Purpose of the flight.
    2. Proposed flight itinerary.
    3. Essential crew required to operate the aircraft.
    4. The ways, if any, in which the aircraft does not comply with the applicable airworthiness requirements.
    5. Any other information they may request

  • You must request a Special Flight Permit from the nearest FSDO (Flight Standards District Office).

    You'll need to fill out Form 8130-6, Application for U.S. Airworthiness, appropriately calling out the reasons you need a SFP (ferry flight, etc). Once the form is submitted, you may be subject to an inspection by an FAA official or representative, verifying that your aircraft is in fact in a condition for safe operation.

    Avemco, the insurance company, has a good article on ferry permits that might be worth an extended read and which I don't intend to copy here.

Related questions and answers
  • I thought the shape of the wing gave an airplane upward lift. How can it fly if it's upside down?

  • How do I get permission to fly an airplane with a non-safety-related airworthiness issue, like being out of annual or having an inoperative radio in order to take it somewhere that it can be fixed?

  • If an airplane is already equipped for RVSM flight, how do we obtain a Letter of Authorization (LOA) for RVSM in order to actually fly in RVSM airspace?

  • StallSpin's answer on the recent question about VFR traffic patterns has got me thinking about the "Remarks" section of the Airport/Facility Directory. We are all taught in training to review the AFD entry for airports we intend to visit (part of FAR 91.103's "become familiar with all available information" requirement), and to comply with any restrictions noted - typically things like "no touch-and-go landings", "Standard traffic pattern required of all aircraft", "Prior Permission Required for jet aircraft", etc. Aside from it being The Right Thing To Do, and avoiding the possibility

  • I understand that you need to get an overflight permit before entering Cuban airspace, even if you aren't landing there. How do you go about getting permission to overfly them enroute to another country?

  • Watching the first episode of Dangerous Flights, a ferry pilot has aftermarket fuel tanks fitted inside the cabin of an old Merlin IIB: What are the regulatory requirements to be able to do this? / How can you get permission to fit extra tanks inside a plane? Is there anything that needs to be specially considered when designing the tanks and valves etc? Is this commonplace when ferry flying long-haul?

  • Because of US foreign policy, flights between the US and Cuba are prohibited except for certain conditions. If I am flying there for an approved reason (such as to visit immediate family), how do I obtain the proper permission to do so?

  • The answer for How does wind affect the airspeed that I should fly for maximum range in an airplane? refer to a velocity/power-required curve. As far as I can tell, this curve can't be deduced from information in the flight manual. I suppose one could experiment and determine what power setting is required in order to maintain level flight at a bunch of airspeeds. (Or for a glider, record the sink rate, which is proportional to the negative of the power-required, at a bunch of airspeeds.) Would that be accurate enough? Are these curves available from the manufacturer?

  • On an another question, an answer said: "You don't need an engine to fly as airplanes are designed to glide without it." I suspect this heavily depends on the type of the aircraft, so lets assume we are considering a small airplane. How far could an airplane glide? What governs the 'glideability' of the plane? Is it possible, for an airplane with an engine/engines, to leverage this to save fuel while flying, or are they too heavy/otherwise unable to do this?

  • Provided an aircraft with a fly-by-wire system, there are basically two possible choices when it comes deciding how to let the pilots interface with it: rate control / attitude hold: a deflection... translate to a deflection of the surfaces, mimicking the "old" mechanical control setup. It is my understanding that this is the design choice of Boeing in its new aircrafts. I do not wish to discuss how Airbus and Boeing made their design decisions, but rather see if there has been performed a study on what interface is preferred by pilots, eventually differentiating among private/commercial pilots

Data information